Wednesday, August 8, 2018

How people with mental health problems should be treated in the workplace

To the HR manager sitting at your desk, perhaps sipping a cup of coffee, whilst going through the big pile of application forms. Please do not just throw mine in the bin, as soon as you see I have a mental illness. Take the time to see the positives; the value I can bring to your organisation. You may see me as a ‘challenge’ or ‘problem’, but if you support me and give me a chance, I will show you the hard work and commitment I am capable of. 

To my manager who, later than expected, realised I have a mental illness; Generalised Anxiety Disorder partnered with Autism. It took a lot of courage to share my experiences with you and was a scary thing to do. It also took a lot to manage a history of anxiety and self-harm, to the point I could be a little happier about myself. 

Please do not treat me as a ‘challenge’ or ‘something to be gotten rid of’. I did not choose...



Original source: How people with mental health problems should be treated in the workplace

No comments:

Post a Comment